As a potential candidate for Express Entry, you may come to Canada via one of the following federal immigration programs.
**Canadian Experience Class (CEC):**
The CEC, managed under the Express Entry's online points-based system, caters to skilled workers with Canadian work experience aiming for permanent residency. To be eligible, you must:
- Possess a minimum of one year of full-time skilled work experience in Canada within the last three years, in roles classified under NOC TEER levels 0, 1, 2, and 3.
- Fulfill the language proficiency requirements necessary for your occupation.
- Plan to live in Canada, except in the province of Quebec.
The Express Entry system utilizes a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Beyond the basic criteria, it considers various factors contributing to your CRS score, including age, education, language proficiency, work experience (both in Canada and abroad), potential employment arrangements, and family in Canada.
Candidates with the highest scores in each Express Entry draw receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency from IRCC.
**Federal Skilled Worker (FSW):**
FSW, another Express Entry-managed program, is designed for skilled workers with foreign work experience aspiring to become permanent residents. Eligibility criteria include:
- At least 1 year of continuous full-time skilled work experience over the past 10 years in occupations listed under NOC TEER levels 0, 1, 2, and 3.
- Required language proficiency for your job.
- Intention to reside in Canada, outside the province of Quebec.
The FSW program operates on a 100-point grid considering factors like age, education, work experience, language skills, and job offers. A minimum score of 67 is required to qualify.
The Comprehensive Ranking System also applies here, taking into account additional elements like education, work experience, and family ties in Canada.
IRCC issues ITAs through regular draws to the highest-scoring candidates, who can then apply for permanent residency.
**Federal Skilled Trades (FST):**
In order to qualify you need the following:
Have at least 2 years of full-time experience within the past 5 years in the skilled trades, which includes the following occupations:
• Major Group 72, technical trades and transportation officers and controllers excluding Sub-Major Group 726, transportation officers and controllers
• Major Group 73, general trades
• Major Group 82, supervisors in natural resources, agriculture and related production
• Major Group 83, occupations in natural resources and related production
• Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors, and utilities operators and controllers
• Major Group 93, central control and process operators and aircraft assembly assemblers and inspectors, excluding Sub-Major Group 932, aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors
• Minor Group 6320, cooks, butchers and bakers
• Unit Group 62200, chefs
Meet minimum language requirements
Have a valid job offer letter for a total period of 1 year or the certificate of qualification issued by the province or territory. Please note that you must meet the requirements for this job.
The Express Entry, as mentioned, also uses a Comprehensive Ranking System. In addition to the mandatory requirements, it includes many other factors that make up the amount of Express Entry points.
IRCC will send an Invitation to Apply (ITA) to the most eligible applicants with each Draw, after which you may apply for Permanent Residency application. FST has sometimes separated Draws that may issue ITAs to applicants in such category.