top of page

Temporary Residency

Explore Canada as a tourist, worker, or student.

Study Permits: To pursue education in Canada, it's essential to gain acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) and secure a Study Permit. This application must be completed before your arrival in Canada, along with submitting necessary documents, which include:

  • Enrollment confirmation from a DLI (like an acceptance letter or course registration)

  • Financial proof (e.g., tuition fee receipts, living expenses, transportation costs)

  • Evidence of your eligibility to enter Canada, considering your criminal record and health examination

  • Assurance of your departure from Canada upon the expiration of your study permit

A Study Permit is not required for educational programs shorter than six months.

Upon acquiring a study permit, it entitles you to employment according to the terms on the permit, typically allowing part-time work (up to 20 hours weekly) during the academic term and full-time (at least 30 hours weekly) during breaks.

Post-graduation, you may qualify for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), granting you an open work permit for employment with any Canadian employer, either full-time or part-time.

Student Direct Stream:


Residents of China, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal, or Vietnam can opt for the Student Direct Stream for quicker Study Permit processing (within 20 calendar days). This requires standard documents, plus a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC), a pre-arranged medical exam, a police certificate (if needed), and language test results. This stream is unavailable if you reside outside these countries.

Note: A Study Permit doesn't serve as an entry visa. You might need an eTA to enter Canada.

Work Permits: To work in Canada, obtaining a work permit is necessary. These permits are categorized as employer-specific, open, or occupation-specific (commonly for caregivers).

Typically, you need a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from your employer before applying for a work permit, along with a job offer letter and evidence of job qualification.

Work Permits tied to an LMIA are employer-specific, limiting you to a single employer in Canada.

Application requirements include:

  • A positive LMIA

  • A valid job offer letter co-signed by you and the employer

  • Proof of job qualifications (like reference letters, compensation evidence, educational certificates, licenses, etc.)

  • Intention to leave Canada post-expiration of the work permit

  • Sufficient funds for your stay

  • Clearance on criminal and health grounds

Note: Certain individuals, like business visitors, military personnel, performing artists, athletes, etc., are exempt from requiring a Work Permit.

LMIA-exempt work permits are available for:

  • Spouses or common-law partners of foreign workers with LMIA-supported work permits in Canada

  • DLI graduates in Canada eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit

  • Permanent Residency applicants awaiting a decision

  • Provincial Nominee Program positive recipients

  • Applicants falling under the “significant benefit” category

  • Participants in international agreements like NAFTA or GATS

  • International Experience Class (IEC) eligible candidates

Visitor Visas and Tourists: For visiting Canada, a Temporary Resident Visa application is necessary, detailing your visit purpose.

Tourists must provide:

  • Proof of intent to leave after the authorized stay, demonstrating strong home country ties (like an employment letter)

  • Proof of funds (bank statements, accessible savings)

  • Clearance on health and criminal grounds

  • For tourism, a detailed travel plan (plane tickets, hotel bookings, travel itinerary)

Visitor Visa: Visiting family or friends in Canada requires similar documentation, plus an invitation letter from your host. If the host supports you financially, they should provide their employment letter and bank statements.

bottom of page